1. Holy crap, I haven’t done one of these posts in months.
2. Holy crap, why haven’t I done one of these posts in months?
3. Holy crap, I started writing this post in November of 2016…back when President Obama was still in office and our country had not fallen down the rabbit hole of racism and bigotry and us brown folks weren’t walking around in a daze, wondering what the fuck is the orange one going to do next. Le sigh…
4. Sometimes I do the grocery shopping and I am not only a stellar human being, but I am a responsible mom, buying fresh greens and organic berries, free-range chicken and baked chips. Other times, I roam the aisles with FORMATION blasting in my headphones, buying nothing but coffee, Fritos, and shit The Kid loves to eat, and by “shit The Kid loves to eat” I mean anything made out of sugar, sugar and oh yeah, sugar. Today was one of those days. I came out of Whole Foods – of all fucking places – with sesame sticks, frozen samosas, rotisserie chicken, and a chocolate cat. Blame it on The Beyoncé. *update: I don’t recall this shopping trip at all, but I still like to call her The Beyoncé and gah! she’s having twins. More on that below…
5. I’m participating in National Novel Writing Month, or #NaNoWriMo as all of us writerly folk like to affectionately call it. First off, let me say I don’t have one fucking affectionate bone in my body for #NaNoWriMo, which is probably some sort of writers’ sin, but I don’t give a shit. I abhor November for the simple fact it is National Novel Writing Month, the one month of the year I feel like an epic failure as a writer because I never meet those goddamned daily word counts because I’m not a daily-word-count kind of writer. That said, I’m doing it this year. Mostly because I have a deadline on book III in The Keeper Series of January 15, 2017 and I figured #NaNoWriMo is the best way to jump start my writing. But still, it kills me to check in and watch my word counts and the word counts of my “writer buddies” who, yes, prior to fucking #NaNoWriMo were most definitely my writer buddies, but now are my competition because their word counts are higher than mine and because that is the way my brain works and shit, I digress. GAH. See what #NaNoWriMo does to me? Anyway, I’m doing it, daily word counts and all, it’s day 6, I should be around 7-8K words, instead I’m around 6K and even though I intend to fix that this evening, the fact remains I DVR’ed The Walking Dead and after last week, I’ve gotta see what progresses with Carol and Ezekiel and his tiger, Sheba… *update 1: I didn’t finish #NaNoWriMo with a complete novel in hand, partly because my novels are closer to 100K words, not the 50K goal of #NaNoWriMo, but also because like I said, I fucking hate it. But I did write 12K, which is more than I’ve ever written for that thing, so there’s that. *update 2: I missed my book III writing deadline…twice. But it’s finished, and it’s beautiful. So fingers crossed the editor agrees and my blown deadlines are quickly forgotten.
6. I’m going to stop dating for a while. I’m going to blame that on The Beyoncé, too. And not because I’ve started dating her, but because she is The Beyoncé and really, the perfect excuse for anything I might do. *update 1: I totally did this. I haven’t dated anyone new in months…and it’s pretty damn nice. I can see how this no-dating status could get real comfy real fast – it already has. I love being alone and I love not being accountable to another adult and I really love exploring the city and living this life on my own terms, but I also know this could become an impossible rut, so I’ll get back to it when the weather breaks…maybe. *update 2: a couple of months since update 1 and I’m still doing this because like I said before, I love not being accountable to another adult. But also because men just can’t seem to handle all of this brown girl magic. 😉
7. My book releases in 17 days. Yes, it’s true. I am officially in count-down mode, mostly because I’m horribly nervous and excited and gah! MY BOOK RELEASES IN 17 DAYS!!! And to celebrate, there’s a party in the city, at Madame X to be exact, the “sexiest bar in the city” which seems the perfect place to toast the dark dirty magic that is Dutch and Juma. I’m doing a reading and answering questions and giving away a new Kindle and $25 Amazon gift card to some lucky, random buyer of my book. If you’re in NYC, come through, grab a cocktail, and listen to some words.
8. And finally, I finished writing The Keeper Series trilogy a couple of weeks ago and sent it to my agent, Kimberly Brower, for first-round edits. The last weekend of writing book III was done while sobbing, I kid you not. Both Dutch and Juma’s chapters ripped me to shreds and the entire time while typing, HUGE uncontrollable tears rolled down my face. It was a most brutal and most magic experience. I love those two, madly. Oh – and Kimberly called it my best work yet. Yea. And on that note, I’m off to pack for Philly and a weekend of The Edibles.