1. You might be buying Preparation H for the bags under your eyes, but the cute guy at the cash register doesn’t know that…
2. This taste of spring is delicious
3. All the fish in The Kid’s tank died the other day. Every single one. As if they had a conference, agreed they wanted to make me feel like a huge piece of shit, and drank the kool-aid…that “special” kool-aid. Needless to say, three years later, I am throwing in the towel and admitting defeat. My fish experiment is done – no more dead fish for me. Going back to what I know – rodents. Just added a hamster named Shema to our crew. She’s so much cuter than those damn fish.
4. That said, I’m so goddamned pissed about the fish. I hate failing.
5. The Kid has spent the last two days, sick as a dog. It started out as projectile vomiting at 3am, evolved into a high fever, and now although he’s feeling better, he’s totally weak. We spent all day yesterday in bed together, him trying to recover, me doing some lawyering, and in between it all, at the most random moments, he would reach out to hold my hand. MEEP. He just turned 8, so I know these moments are about to come to an abrupt end, but for now, I’m going to savor them and all of their sweetness.
6. I’m going to do my first spoken word gig next week at a bar in my old neighborhood. I’m nervous, scared, terrified, but that’s even more reason to show up and read. Not sure which makes my stomach turn more, sharing my work or having to stand up in front of a crowd.
7. Once upon a time, I had some hair
8. That Chili Peppers song Road Trippin’ – since the first time I heard it, the lyrics “let’s go get lost” have stayed with me, finding a dark little corner of my soul to make themselves at home. The idea of escaping with girlfriends or a lover or The Kid is so appealing – it doesn’t have to be forever, even just a few moments of disappearing from it all, losing myself in someone else – friends, lovers, family – it stirs me. So much that I got it tattooed on my clavicle (thank you, Jason Barletta and Rising Dragon Tattoo) and wrote this poem – hope you enjoy
And on that note, I think y’all have heard enough from me – I’m out of here.