I wrote and saved this post four months ago. Not sure why I never published it, but thought it might be fun to take a peek and see what’s happened since then.
1. Why is it so damn difficult to find a decent desk lamp? UMMM, YEAH. THIS IS STILL CAUSING ME FITS. EITHER I’M JUST BEING A PICKY BITCH OR IT REALLY IS DAMN NEAR IMPOSSIBLE TO FIND A DECENT DESK LAMP.
2. I’m about to enter into my first, professional editing experience and am terrified and thrilled. I have no idea what’s coming my way, how Dutch will be ripped to shreds, but I’m looking forward to the experience and coming out the other side a better writer for it. SO THIS HAPPENED AND MY EDITOR, HELEN HARDT, IS THE SHIT AND YES, I CAME OUT OF THE EXPERIENCE A BETTER WRITER. I STILL THINK I’LL MAKE SOME OF THE SAME MISTAKES IN JUMA, BUT NOT AS OFTEN AND WHEN I DO, I THINK I’LL HEAR HELEN IN MY HEAD, WILL STOP WHAT I’M DOING WRONG AND DO IT RIGHT. INTERESTINGLY, AND WHAT I DIDN’T TAKE INTO ACCOUNT WAS THE FACT THAT ANOTHER EDITOR COULD COME ALONG, LOVE DUTCH, AND WANT DIFFERENT EDITS. WHICH IS BASICALLY THE PLACE I FIND MYSELF TODAY. AND WHY I’M HELLA GRUMPY ABOUT ALL THIS EDITING. FINGERS CROSSED IT PAYS OFF.
3. The dog stinks. Oh man, like so bad. What a little smelly fucker. HE’S STILL A SMELLY FUCKER, BUT WE LOVE HIM.
4. My current WIP is coming along quite well. Last night around 2:15 I looked up and found my word count near 8K – I have no idea how that happened, but I’ll take it. This is the story with no magic, just lots of romance between people – humans, in fact! – who have no special powers, don’t work for Death, or make a career of killing folks with nine lives. This is just the simple story of a girl and two guys, which I guess right there, that tiny detail that I tossed out like it’s nothing, makes it hardly simple, especially where love is concerned. But yeah, there are no dragons or poison swords or armies of Imps. Just a girl and two guys. OH YES – AMAL AND JACKSON AND ANDREW AND ALL OF THEIR SEXY. I LOVE THEM AND WHEN I WANT TO ESCAPE THE WORLD OF KEEPERS AND DEATH AND DUTCH AND JUMA, I FIND MYSELF LOST AMONG THE COMPLICATIONS OF MY VERY HUMAN, VERY MESSY THREESOME. NOT TOO SURE MY AGENT LIKES ME DABBLING IN THIS CREW, BUT I FIND THEM IRRESISTIBLE AND A FEW MINUTES OF WRITING SOME INSANELY HOT SEX AND WITTY BANTER ISN’T GOING TO KILL ANYONE. #famouslastwords
5. Here’s a little taste – it has no name and is very raw and unedited, so hold your tongue if you catch mistakes: NOT SURE THIS HAS CHANGED AND DON’T REALLY FEEL LIKE CHECKING, SO JUST READ IT BECAUSE CHANCES ARE, YOU’VE NEVER SEEN IT BEFORE. AND IF YOU HAVE SEEN IT, BE QUIET AND READ IT AGAIN.
We were young, sexy, and happy. We were fresh, light, and in love. We fit together, everything about us complimented the other, we were everyone’s ideal. Jackson Rashard Davis and Amal Warrier Naipal. The perfect couple. Until we became a threesome.
“Every woman on this campus takes David Andersen’s course.”
Spoken with amused disdain, and a low growl of a whisper, masculine and deep, meant for my ears only, as if the fact I held Professor Andersen’s syllabus in my hand both bored and disappointed. Any other moment in my twenty-one years of living on this planet, a stranger getting so close, invading my space the way this one did, warm breath on my neck, heat at my back, would have resulted in all kinds of fuckery. But this stranger’s voice did things to me, making it difficult to put up my walls and lash out in irritation, and instead of stepping out of his orbit and away from his invasion, I found myself welcoming it with a slight curve of my mouth and a rasp in my voice.
“That is because every woman on this campus dreams of fucking David Andersen.”
For two beats of reality, I wasn’t living it. For two beats of reality, I stepped outside myself and became someone else. Those two beats became everything.
6. That moment when your reality is about to get turned on its head – I think I’m three steps away from it. I’M IN THE THICK OF THE SHIT STORM AND IT’S RAGING, WILD, AND UNPREDICTABLE. CROSS YOUR FINGERS FOR ME.
7. And this. Because I’m me and he is David and really, must you ask. #ohmyGandy NOTHING HAS CHANGED HERE. NOTHING WILL EVER CHANGE HERE. HE IS DAVID AND I AM ME AND HOLY SHIT, HE IS SEX PERSONIFIED AND I’M GOING TO ENJOY HIM EVERY DAMN TIME HE CROSSES MY SCREEN.
And on that note, that insanely sexy and wicked note, I am out of here. YES, I’M OUT OF HERE BECAUSE I’VE NOW SPENT AT LEAST TWENTY MINUTES PROCRASTINATING AND IT’S TIME TO GET BACK TO DUTCH AND EDITING CHAPTER TEN.