I love how sometimes the universe just knows what is the what and takes tiny steps to work little feats of magic, sprinkle some fairy dust here and there, and make you forget the bad shit
at least for a few minutes.
That’s what happened to me earlier this week when in two days I was nominated twice for the Brotherhood of the World Award, first by Keya Shah at Prose Over Bros – how can you not love a blog with a name like that? – and then by Shohini at Treacherous Bliss. Girls, y’all made my day with your surprise gestures and enthusiasm for the written word. I love both of your blogs, so thanks for the nominations.
And now onto the fun stuff.
Oh wait, first the rules:
1) Thank and link back to the person who nominated you for the award.
2) List the Rules and Display the Brotherhood of the world Award logo to your post and/or blog.
3) Answer the questions sent to you and then create your set of questions for your nominees.
4) Nominate bloggers and let them know about the award.
Since some of the questions overlap, I’ve combined them so I don’t get all repetitive and bore the shit out of everyone – here goes:
1) What are you the most passionate about? Writing and my characters and writing their stories really fucking well because they’re amazing and rich and dynamic and diverse and so very deserving of the best telling I can give them.
2) If you were granted one wish, what would you wish for? On a macro level, I would want an immediate and permanent end to child hunger, a world where no child lacks for nourishment and sustenance. On a micro level, which is another way of saying on a very self-serving level, I would wish for my books to be successful so I could quit lawyering. But that’s silly and I know this Indie game takes hard work and requires about a gallon of my blood, ten pints of my tears, and my soul for eternity.
3) What book would be your first choice to recommend for a good read? One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez for its magical beauty, the epic tale of the Buendia clan, and the most perfect opening sentence ever written:
Many years later, as he faced the firing squad, Colonel Aureliano Buendía was to remember that distant afternoon when his father took him to discover ice.
4) Would you rather lie to avoid upsetting somebody or tell the truth to be morally right? Girl please, lie. Moral righteousness fucking drives me nuts.
5) Name three movies that place in your Must Watch list – for the record, this is so tough:
- Do the Right Thing, Spike Lee
- Thelma & Louise, Ridley Scott
- Star Wars, George Lucas
6) If you could have any career choice, what would you wish to be? A writer, which I already am, but I would love it to be my only career, not the career I do on the side.
7) Are you a foodie? To a certain extent, yes, absolutely. I love good food and drink and going out to dinner or to dinner parties, but my interest in cooking anything at all these days has dwindled almost down to nothing. What I wouldn’t do for a personal chef…
8) Are you more of a summer person or a winter one? If I’m forced to choose, then I’m picking Winter. And this is coming out of the mouth of a girl who despises snow. But I also despise temperatures above 84 degrees and soupy humidity and needing to ceaselessly run the air conditioning. So yeah, Winter wins. Ideally, I would love to live in 82 degree weather year-round.
9) what’s your craziest dream or fantasy? It’s too dirty to divulge to the world.
10) your favourite quote or dialogue? I have a few so you’ll have to suffer through them
11) define yourself in one word. Badass motherfucker – two words, I know, but I couldn’t resist
12) If you could change one thing about you, what would it be? I want to be taller, at least 5′ 10″, then I would truly be a badass motherfucker.
13) your idea of vacation? a beach, a strong drink, The Husband, The StepDaughter, The Kid, and some friends, my laptop, loads of laughter and all kinds of hijinx. Or a day by myself, somewhere no one knows me, no one asks things of me, and I’m allowed to luxuriate in all kinds of epic feats of utter selfishness. With my laptop in tow. Of course.
Here are my nominations:
And here are my questions:
- Describe your morning routine
- Share one of your favorite childhood memories
- Five books you cherish
- Name your three favorite literary villians
- Do you cry?
- Do you have siblings? Where do you fall in the birth order?
- What’s your zodiac sign?
- Five items travelling with you to a deserted island
Have fun with these but puh-leez do not feel obligated.
And thanks again, Keya and Shohini, you girls rock 💋💋💋